‘Initiatives for German Tourists’ Contribution to Conserving the Serra de Tramuntana’ is a pilot project being carried out in the Sóller valley, the centre of hiking tourism, and which targets German tourists.
The project was launched on 22 November 2016 in Sóller and throughout 2017 various activities are being carried out, falling within the following objectives and actions.
The project’s objectives are:
- inform German-speaking hiking tourists and tour operators, with the aim of raising their awareness of the need to maintain the Serra de Tramuntana’s cultural landscape
- encourage them to actively contribute to preserving the Serra de Tramuntana
- develop specific conservation activities for tourists.
In order to achieve the objectives, the project has defined five action areas:
1. Inform German tourists and tour operators and raise their awareness
Create and share information about the values and historical natural, farming and cultural qualities of the UNESCO Serra de Tramuntana World Heritage Site, targeting German tourists and tour operators.
(Developed in partnership with the Consorcio Serra de Tramuntana Patrimonio Mundial, the Asociación de Técnicos y Guias de Montaña de Baleares (ATGMB) and the Capvespre project.)
2. Train current and future mountain guides
Organise a course for mountain guides (official hiking guides) and develop a training module comprising information about the Serra de Tramuntana’s historic natural and cultural values, justifying the ‘World Heritage’ title and the need to support at-risk local agriculture.
3. Active input from tourists in conservation work (volunteering)
There will be four volunteering days with active participation from German tourists, when they will help maintain olive trees threatened by invasion of other plants (pine trees and common reed grass) and repair historic dry-stone walls.
4. Build a network between the involved parties
Encourage networking between all the parties involved (hotels, guides, the Cooperativa de Sóller, the Consell de Mallorca, the ATGMB, Amics de la Terra Mallorca, BTE and BUND) via annual meetings (project launch and close) and sharing information using newsletters.
5. Support the sale of local products
Promote local Serra de Tramuntana products and provide information about where they are sold in the Sóller valley, via a database of establishments and products, and information for hotels.
(Developed in partnership with the Cooperativa Agrícola de Sóller and the Consell de Mallorca).